Small Business / Entrepreneurship Assistance Available at Chamber
Employing People With Disabilities | Microloan Program | Links | Toolkit | Regulatory Compliance
In response to the growing demand for assistance, the Dothan Area Chamber has launched the Small Business Development Initiative for small business owners and entrepreneurs in the Dothan area. The development initiative is primarily a resource service that offers a variety of tools, as well as, a Chamber contact for those who need help with current concerns or seek information about how to start up a business.
Small business owners and entrepreneurs are the backbone of our economy and the Chamber wants to ensure we are providing all the tools a business, or prospective business owner might need. More than 80 percent of the Chamber's members are small businesses.
The Chamber's contact for this initiative is Steve Turkoski, director of workforce and small business development. Chamber services and resources currently available on-site include:
- Small Business Consortium Counseling Appointments: Appointments can be scheduled at the Chamber with counselors from the Small Business Development Consortium at Troy State University. The appointments are designed to provide limited, but personal assistance in many aspects of small business development.
- Resource Library: The entire Alabama Code is available at the Chamber for those seeking information about pertinent sections of the law. Current "How To" textbooks on various aspects of small business development, the Small Business "Personnel Handbook Template, " and Small Business and links via on-site computer are also available in the Chamber's Resource Library.
- Small Business Toolkit: This handbook is one of the most comprehensive publications available for doing business in the Dothan area. It includes information about:
- Business Structure
- Business Plans
- Business Licenses
- Professional Licenses
- Record Keeping
- Small Business Financing Opportunities
- Personnel Thresholds for Mandatory Compliance with Federal Employment Law
- New-Hire Forms
- Employment Law Library: The Chamber maintains an extensive library of employment law publications and a large collection of recent employment law newsletters to aid businesses keep abreast of changes and rulings in employment law.
- The Alfred Saliba Family Services Center operates a Small Business Incubator at the Mixson Business Center at 545 West Main St., Dothan, AL 36301 at (334) 836-0217 for more information view their website www.mixsonbusinesscenter.com.
- The Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce has established a relationship as an affiliate with the East Alabama Chapter of SCORE (Service Corp of Retired Executives). For more inforamtion contact Steve Turkoski at (334) 792-5138.
For more information about the Small Business/Entrepreneur Initiative at the Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce, please contact Steve Turkoski at (334) 792-5138 or
"Small Business Development is a Chamber Priority"